Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Another Party at Brody's

October 24, 2007

We started our day with Prof. Rick. Yesterday, we visited his office, located in a house-like office on the university campus. Prof. Rick told us about how his language center was operated and some problems he encountered as the head of the center. It was interesting to listen to him making observations about students especially when he explained about strengths and weaknesses of students from different countries. While listening, I couldn’t help reflecting on my own students in order to find out about their strengths and weaknesses. As for now, I can only think of their weaknesses (I’m such a pessimistic teacher). However, I’ve made a decision that when I’m back in Thailand, I’ll not overlook my students’ strengths so that I can apply teaching methods that are suitable for them.

In Prof. Rick’s class today, we learnt about if-clause and action research. We learnt about two schools of research: quantitative and qualitative research. It’s a pity that we didn’t have much time to talk about it, but I think Prof. Rick may bring it up again tomorrow. After Prof. Rick’s class, we went to Wilson Hall to attend project archaeology discussion. It was a very systematic and well-organized lesson. I liked it a lot, and I think I can apply many strategies to my teaching.

In the evening, I had a chance to observe a writing class. It was interesting, and it surprised me a little bit because most of the students were Asian students. Also, I was amazed and disappointed at the same time. I was amazed when seeing students being very active in the class, but I was disappointed because such classroom atmosphere did not happen in my class very often. I think it might be because of my teaching, classroom setting, students’ personality or any other possible factors that I must investigate in order to encourage my students to be active.

In the evening, we went to Dr. Brody’s house for a dinner party. We had lots of fun: eating, chitchatting, laughing, and washing dishes (It’s fun because it’s the only house chore that I like). After the party, the fun was ended because I had a lot of homework to do. :(

No comments: