Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Yellowstone




October 19-21, 2007 (#2)

The name Yellowstone came from the color of rocks and stone, which is without doubt yellow. At first, we were very excited about the snow. We wanted very much to get out of our van and play with the snow. We desperately wanted Jess to stop the van wherever there was snow in order to take photos. On Saturday while we stopped for the restroom near one of the hiking spots, we had experienced a bit of heavy snow (heavy for me but not for those accustomed to snow). It was so much fun because while we were lining up for the restroom (there was only one room for both men and women), snow started falling down again. At that moment, the snow and the wind blew much more strongly. We were having fun standing amidst heavy snow. We took lots of photos (as usual). The bad thing was that the restroom was very dirty and there was no water! I hope I am never in a situation where I must use such a restroom ever again. On our way back, we could see lots of elk and bison. I was excited (as usual) to see them.
The first day was a bit tiring, but I was happy I could see snow. That night I couldn’t help calling my family to brag about my first experience with snow. On Sunday, we went to see the most famous geyser, Old Faithful. When we arrived, it took a long time before the geyser erupted, so we went hiking to an observation point. On our way, we saw beautiful scenery of snow glittering like diamonds when reflecting with sunlight. Then, Jess told us that there was a herd of bison blocking our path to the observation point. I was very excited as well as scared when I heard that. We kept walking forward until we saw the bison enjoying their food without paying attention to us. Everyone was very quiet while Dr. Brody stepped closer to the bison in order to lead the way, but he finally changed his mind and led us down the hill. He later told me that there were too many bison standing in different directions making it difficult for us to see them in case they attacked us. I took a video of that adventurous moment so that I could remind myself of that moment. We took almost an hour hiking. After that we saw a lot more geysers before we saw the renowned “Old Faithful” erupt. There is nothing much to say except that it was worth waiting for.
And that’s the end of our memorable, exciting, and breath-taking trip to Yellowstone.

No comments: